Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Some insight and stuff

So yesterday was a busy day for Kat. We seem to have double booked her crazy 3 year old schedule. We signed her up for a summer school class... cooking for preschoolers. She loves it! However, she is also taking a summer musical theater class for a couple more weeks. She loves that one too, but it overlaps cooking class on Tuesdays. So, for the 2 Tuesdays that it will affect, she leaves cooking class 15 minutes early and we're set.

So yesterday I took her to Musical Theater class and the teacher wasn't there yet. So we sat outside and she had a snack and she gabbed my ear off about what happened that morning at "school". She told me all about how 2 boys were naughty and they got time outs. "I wasn't naughty though, and I didn't get a time out. But those boys were naughty like sometimes my brother Bear is a naughty. Um, I think boys are just naughty and that's why boys get time outs. Cause I didn't get a time out but they did." ...

Then she started telling me about her new friend Holly. She said, "And at snack time I played with Holly. She didn't get a time out either. She's my friend at school." I asked her how her and Holly became friends and Kat looked at me like, duh, and said... "I just told her I wanted to be friends and I'm {Kat} and she said yes." My eyes are welling up with tears as she tells me this. I tried to poke around for more details but apparently it's pretty straight forward... "We were inside before snack time and I told her my name and said I wanted to be friends and she said yes. I told you this already, Mom." OK, I'll take it for what it is.

Then she tried to pick a flower off of a bush outside musical theater. I told her no and she pretended to do it anyway. I said, "Kat, I told you no. Do not pick that flower". She said, "oh, please Mother. I want to so bad". MOTHER? Since when does she call me mother. So I asked, "since when do you call me mother?" She said, "Well, you ARE my mother, right?" I asked her where she learned this and she says "From nowhere. I just know you're my mother". She's drama.

So today we were getting all loaded up in the van to take her to school and she told me something kind of interesting. She said, "Mommy, sometimes when just you and me are driving in the car, it's kind of like we're in a movie and everyone is watching us on TV." What a concept for a 3 year old to articulate! The funny part is, I used to... and often still do... feel the same way. I would almost hear narration in my head of tracking my moves as a child. Often I would get de ja vu's and such and it would freak me out. I think it's so neat that Katie feels this also, and that she is able to express it.

No comments: